Sunday, August 5, 2012

4 August 2012 - I love spray paint

Guess it is time for odd confessions--I love spray paint. I could be the Rust-Oleum poster girl. There is much fun to be had with a bit of color in a can. Want to see some?

I have a great big rural mailbox that I wanted to mount beside the veggie garden for storing small hand tools. Sometimes it is just too hard to make trips back and forth from the garage. David helped us make the base for this, and  some Key Lime Green and orange made the project sing! The bright orange flag perfectly matches our orange weed hauling pail. 


Spray paint is a great way to redeem old rusty chairs. 

This chair belonged to my grandparents. I have a photo of my grandfather sitting in it with me standing beside him. I was probably 3 or 4 years old.  

David pulled this out of the log cabin (now his blacksmith's shop) and gave it to me. A few coats of paint later, and a new cushion and it is pretty darned gorgeous. 

In the background you can see a green motel chair.  It is also painted with my favorite Rust-Oleum color, Key Lime Green. 

Poking around in the onion house at David's while looking for dead tools (stay tuned! that is a really cool upcoming project) I found the newel post that came from the old farm house my grandparents lived in until they built a new house on that property. 

Jack and I had been grousing about the need for a shelf by the back door, so you could set something down while you opened or shut the door. The newel post had been sitting in the barn for at least 56 years and was filthy, and the wood was warping just a little. I had the "aha" moment and thought all it would take would be a little paint and we could use it for a shelf--or in this case a podium. 


If you were to go back to my June 2011 post called Painting the Roses Red, you will see I have been painting flowers for a while. I have some gorgeous yucca plants and this year one of the clumps had 16 bloom stocks. They were breathtaking. These flowers last several weeks then the individual blooms fall off, the stocks become straw colored. Most people would cut them off.  I thought I could bring some more color to the yard for a bit longer. How fun is this?



 Then there was my project with valve handles. In  addition to my love affair with spray paint, I like collections of things. 

In this case, it is valve handles. I had a large box full of rusty handles. 

Something was just waiting to happen. Spray paint happened, then they became trunk decorations. 

Have I mentioned how much I like color? Especially bright color?

Spray paint can transform things. I had a lovely arbor but it was a glaring bright white. Grabbed that can of Key Lime and went to town. 

What a difference. It is still bright, but the green lets it blend with the surroundings. 






No comments:

Post a Comment