Wednesday, August 22, 2012

22 Aug 2012 - The Sweet Spot

Everybody needs a sweet spot in their life. I am very lucky to have quite a few, but that has its own problems. Mainly which one do you want to be in? Fortunately we have spots that are perfect for morning coffee, others that better for the afternoon root beer float, and even more that are the perfect place to eat tomatoes--just picked and still hot from the sun. Life is good!

As Jack and I beat this yard into submission, sweet spots are emerging. This is one of my favorites. The fountain is burbling, a wonderful refreshing sound on hot days. I love sitting where I can see my garden angel on duty and the flowers are a bonus.


Then there are secluded sitting spots. 

These little nooks are great for a quick stop to relax in the shade with iced tea, or a book, or just to sink down and enjoy the view. 

It is also a good spot to contemplate what needs to be planted next year. 

What colors? Annuals?  Shrubs?
Perennials? Trees?

It's a gardener's dreaming spot.



 

There are too many places to choose from. This is our favorite breakfast and lunch spot. It is on the shady side of the house until the afternoon. 

 Dinner is usually on the porch, which is shaded in the evening. 


Other sweet spots include what I consider my charming vignettes. 


There's a prize if you can count how many baby quail are in this picture. And this little gargoyle is another delight tucked into a perfect place.


 This planter in the breezeway between the house and garage is filled with treasures from my rockhound grandparents. In here you'll find dinosaur bones, septurian nodules, petrified wood, snowflake obsidian and other wonders, all watched over by my beneficent Pan. The petroglyph was created by my Pop.




  I also have little surprises tucked into crannies. These elements don't always jump out at you. They quietly sit back and wait for you to notice. 

Sometimes this glass globe sparkles like sun on raindrops after the storm. Other times it almost disappears into the tree trunks and myrtle. So much depends on where the sun is, what the clouds are doing--different every day.

 


I am really happy about how the plants on the front porch turned out. 


Now to consider where to add a sitting spot out front where I can admire them properly.


No comments:

Post a Comment