Thursday, August 4, 2016

4 August 2016 - Disappearing Newspaper Boxes

Have you noticed how hard it is to find newspapers anymore? There used to be newspaper boxes in front of every grocery store, drug store and on every downtown street corner.  When's the last time you saw one? 

When I was in San Francisco last year there was an article in the Chronicle talking about how the city was removing several hundred newspaper boxes. The point was they clutter the sidewalks and collect trash. 

Recently I discovered that the Salt Lake papers were pulling the majority of their boxes out of service as well. Naturally I felt the immediate need to save one. Why? Not sure, but there was this vague thought that in ten years no kids will even know what a newspaper box is. In the light of be careful what you ask for...I now have two. One for each of the local papers.  I didn't remember them being so large. What happened to the little squatty ones on four short legs? 



Do I know what to do with them? No. Do I know where they will end up living? No. But isn't it nice how they match the colors of my motel chairs?  

Have you ever noticed that as soon as you learn something new or see something for the first time you immediately run across it again?

My friend Elisa who geocaches everyday and posts about her adventures on thecachingbag.blogspot.com showed a photo of a new cache she found. I howled. 

(Elisa? I'm stealing your photo!) 

This box actually works. You put in a quarter and you get some geocaching swag.  I have to think about this. What a great job of repurposing an old box! 


I had the fleeting thought that if I got the linotype up and running I could print the odd newsletter and put it in the box, but that seems like too much work. We shall see. And we shall also see how soon I run across another mention of these boxes. 

P.S.  Several days after I posted this, Elisa told me she has seen old newspaper boxes being used for The Little Free Libraries!  What a great idea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment