Tuesday, August 2, 2016

2 August 2016 - Birds of England

Yes, I was on a garden tour, but I was probably the only one with a pair of binoculars around my neck. Can't help myself. Have to look for birds. It was a hoot. I'm sure everything I saw was super common in England, like seeing starlings in the U.S., but it was all new to me. The first day we had in London was a free day. Amy and I had a fabulous time doing as much as we possibly could fit in, including finding two field guides to British birds. Boy, did I need them! 

Here are some of the birds I found that actually allowed me to get fairly decent photos. 

First, I discovered the Robin in England is a tiny little bird in the wren family, not the large Robin of the U.S. who is in the thrush family. 

There is only one Jay over there. Definitely a jay, but quite different coloration from ours. This is the Eurasian Jay.

Wood Pigeon

Jackdaw. Notice the interesting blue eye.

Chaffinch

Greenfinch

Common Shelduck


Red-crested Pochard

 Ruddy Shelduck

Smew

Tufted Duck

 Barnacle Goose


Bar-headed Goose

Egyptian Goose 

Eqyptian Goose juvenile
 

Red-fronted Goose

Eurasian Coot


Great Crested Grebe 

Little Grebe

Nuthatch

Ring-necked Parakeet

Mistle Thrush

Song Thrush

Great Tit

Gray Wagtail

White Wagtail

Black-headed Gull

Grey Heron

Dunnock

Eurasian Magpie

1 comment:

  1. Can you imagine the blue and white feathers of the Eurasian Jay as the pattern for quilting fabric? My fingers itch! I was waiting for the bird post - it would be like me going to Germany and not geocaching! Lovely trip, Lauri. Are there more posts coming? I enjoyed this greatly.

    ReplyDelete