Tuesday, May 17, 2016

9 May 2016 - What a Cow-motion

I've been thinking about cows lately. I agree it is an odd thing to spend time on, but nevertheless, cows have been on my mind. Why cows, you might ask. I like to photograph the varied and amazing landscapes of Utah. In sorting through some photos I noticed that many are what you might call bu-cow-lic, (keeping the bovine pun theme going). 





For years, I have had a favorite breed, Highland Cattle. They have long horns and long wavy coats. I think they look very sweet. 





But as I started noticing the variety of cows, I discovered I have a new favorite.  Before we get to that, you need to enjoy a small slice of the many cattle I have encountered in my adventures. 

Longhorned cows (yes, really Texas Longhorns, but I'm going generic here)



Short-horned cows



Brown cows



Brown cows with white faces

Black cows

Black cows with white faces

Bicolor cows



White cows



Speckled cows


And totally new to me, gray cows. 






And now, my new favorite, the Galloway. I find this amusing, as both the Highland and the Galloway are Scottish breeds.  Here is a calf.  Like the Highland, they have wavy coats and a gentle demeanor. I find I am attracted to the the white belly band and their fluffy coats. 






And among all the cows I have seen, this is the weirdest. I would really like to know the story here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment