Thursday, December 3, 2015

3 December 2015 - Highway signage and distracted driving

I have been doing a lot of driving, mostly chasing birds. I have a goal to get 300 species on my life list by the end of the year. Since I am currently at 299, I have been chasing that last elusive tweety bird. Driving places I haven't been before, I am seeing lots of new country and it is great fun. I'm finding roads I didn't know about, and taking side trips as well.  

Because of this, highway signs, mostly warnings for motorists have been attracting my attention. I am easily amused, and some of these signs amuse me no end. There seem to be many more kinds of warning signs now, and it makes you wonder what happened that the highway departments think we need them. 

The valley is surrounded by mountains, and to get anywhere you usually have to drive up a canyon and down the other side. These long ascents and descents have signs that could make you think about staying home. 

Growing up here, I was used to seeing the sign below on the left. And when driving up the canyons it is not unusual to see rocks spilling across the road. But there are new signs replacing many of these falling rock signs that are pretty graphic.

 

Just in case the falling rocks are not enough to keep you from driving up the canyon roads, you can always worry about a semi-truck tipping over on your car. 









Utah also has many long steep grades. Upon reaching a summit, many canyons have places for trucks to check their brakes and there are usually runaway truck lanes. Driving down these roads you are often accompanied by the acrid smell of very hot brakes. 





And of course, there is winter driving--all those gotta have fun in the snow people heading for the slopes. 




Fortunately they even give you space to deal with it should the lights be flashing. 




If that isn't enough to worry about...
There are signs like this almost every half mile going up Little Cottonwood Canyon to the Alta ski areas.  And yes, cars have been swept off the roads and people have died. And even though you are not even close to a shooting range, you need to watch out for artillery fire.  

Black ice, steep roads, possible avalanches are not enough to fret about, let's think about snowplows. 

Watching for them is only the start. You have to respect them as well. We need to be told this? 


Moving away from the snow, just in case we should ever get rain again, there are signs out in the flat lands. If you watch the weather station you know that the new catch phrase is "Don't drown, turn around." Wonder how long before we see that on a sign? 

Think you'll be fine and venture down the road anyway?  Here's one of the scariest signs I have seen and it raises doubts about the safety of this area. How many people can get this kind of permit? Does that mean you are driving through an area of low or medium level nuclear waste? And more importantly--why am I on this road? 

Much of Utah back country is open range, which means livestock are not fenced in. If you hit a cow or sheep on the road in an open range area, it is your own fault. You can't complain to the rancher. In addition to the livestock there are also wildlife and critters to watch out for. 



In open range areas you will often see ranchers on horseback moving cattle around, or a shepherd with a dog or two moving large flocks of sheep. I have pulled over to watch more than once. 
Apparently these buffalo can read and obey. 


Critters are a mystery, but drivers are certainly warned about them. I have had coyotes, foxes, rabbits and squirrels cross in front of my car. Perhaps these all are part of the critter category.  Mustn't forget the ubiquitous deer. 

There are always deer, but you might find moose and elk ambling across the road. You have to hope the idiots are only shooting at the signage, and not the wildlife.
 I recently had a herd of 100 elk cross the road right in front of me. Here they are running toward the road. That'll stop you in your tracks. 
        
In addition to warnings about natural disasters, road conditions and animals, we also have to be reminded to watch out for people.  It is a wonder anyone can drive with all these distractions. 

I think this is the second scariest sign. Utah is very proud of being bike friendly, but the bikers think they are above the law. I feel a rant welling up in me, but for the sake of my blood pressure I won't go there today. But seriously, some of the canyon roads are so narrow to begin with and have no guard rails--then add the biker who has to ride right on the white line. (What's up with that, anyway?) It is really scary when there is not enough road to share. 


This sign, in Utah's west desert also makes me laugh. First, I can't remember the last time I saw a hitchhiker, and second, in this remote area with no towns for miles, who the heck would be hitchhiking? 

There is a similar sign in farming/ranching country that mystifies me. In the photo you can't even see a house. Where do these children come from? 

Another kid sign that made me laugh is the rural school bus sign. The first few times I saw them I wondered why people were shooting them with paint guns. The blood red spots were gruesome. When I was finally able to pull over and get a photo I realized the red spots were supposed to be the stop sign and red lights. Guess that one went right over my head. 

Speaking of natural disasters, this is one of my favorite signs. I saw this along Bay Road in San Francisco.  Who would have known there was such a thing? But, it doesn't exactly tell you where or which way to go, so I'm not sure how helpful it is. 

I have many more signs, but I don't want to wear you out. My guess is you'll be watching your highway signs more carefully now. 
























2 comments:

  1. Perhaps it is not hitchhiking the road sign is against but rather, Facebook likes?

    ReplyDelete