Saturday, December 26, 2015

26 December 2015 - Snow, more snow and sun

On December 14, I woke to 17 inches of snow. By the end of the day we accumulated another 7 inches. I had spent an hour in an InstaCare the previous day. Turns out not only did I sprain my foot, but acquired a hairline fracture as well. There was no way I could even begin to shovel that amount of snow. I am lucky that my brother has Mondays off. In the afternoon he showed up with a friend and they blew and shoveled me out. 
See how hard the snow is coming down? That is why I had another 7 inches by morning. 

In the last 13 days I have had snow every single day but one. Twice a neighbor came over with his snowblower and cleaned my drive, but mostly it was me shoveling. Some days I would have to shovel twice because I just can't move it when it gets too deep. 

It was pretty though, everything in my yard had hats. 
 

It also got old very quickly.  December 18th was the first day with no snow. And to top it off, the day ended with a gorgeous sunset. 

Then we were back to snow. Falling snow, blowing snow and snow falling off trees.  We even had rain followed by snow. That resulted in an inch or two of heavy slush with snow on top. Oof.  Hit the Aleve after that, but got it all off the driveway. 


I didn't get mail for a week because the snowplows had pretty much buried my mailbox. I had shoveled a path from the street to the box but they didn't like that. They will not deliver mail if they have to step out of the truck, but they will step out of the truck to leave a postcard in your box telling you so. Here is my mail box after I dug it out. 

Today? It is gorgeous. No snow in the forecast for the next two or three days...subject to change, I'm sure. But I have Utah blue sky and it is wonderful. The sun is making the snow sparkle and my heart happy. 

Here is the contrast: gray and snowy or sunny and blue. 




Look closely, sparkly snow! The surprise is that this picture was taken about 2:30 A.M. 


Last night was a full moon. I was woken up at two in the morning by a weird noise and was checking it out. I looked outside and the snow was bright white with moonlight. The moon was so bright that it was casting shadows--even the tiniest branches were detailed on the snow. I wandered from window to window admiring the beauty of a cold night and a winter moon. Best present ever! It will be 2034 before there is a full moon on Christmas again. 

The only downside to my sunny days ahead is the cold that accompanies it.  Tonight we will have a low of 1 degree. Tomorrow's high might reach 17. Brr!

So what did I do on those snowy days? Made cookie tins for my neighbors. 

I will say I am completely sugared out. Not that it's a bad thing...






No comments:

Post a Comment