Monday, October 26, 2015

26 October 2015 - Hitchhikers

I have been thinking about hitchhikers lately. Not the kind you see on the freeway with a thumb sticking out, but other kinds. 

There are four reservoirs within 30 miles of my home where I often go for birding. Just last weekend I hit three of them. The entrances to the boat ramps have signs saying if your boat has been in certain lakes, it has to be decontaminated before it can be launched. Seems there is a problem with hitchhikers--in this case quagga mussels. 

I am trying to make my own yard more bird and insect friendly. This fall I have been collecting seeds of wild plants--particularly milkweed. Monarchs are in decline due to the loss of their food source. Round-up ready crops are killing milkweed, not to mention the suburbanization of the rural areas. I am planting several large patches of milkweed to help the monarchs. 

Today I stopped at patch of milkweed where the seeds were bursting out of their pods. I was admiring the seeds, as they really are stunning. If your timing is right and there is a breeze it is fun to watch each little parachute being blown out of the pod. 

I took a closer look and saw the stem was covered with aphids. 
Decided I really didn't want to bring these into my own yard. 

 Looking even closer I realized that each little seed and parachute had hitchhikers that would be carried away with the seed. I don't need to be aiding and abetting these little hitchers. So I ran my fingers up and down the stems smishing as many aphids as possible. Just my small contribution. 

It isn't just mussels and aphids that hitchhike, it is all kinds of seeds, especially now in the fall. Here are some hitchers I got home with after a birding trip. 
These are cockleburs. Extremely prickly, and they can really hold on tightly. Their flower is pretty, but the seeds make them less desirable, in my opinion. These go right in the garbage can when I extricate them from my laces. 

I really feel for this cow who is covered with hitchhikers. These cockle burs will work their way through the hair down to the skin. Ouch! 


houndstongue flower
Another hitcher that is ubiquitous in the fall are the flat sticky seeds of cynoglossum. These get in your socks and are almost impossible to get out. The plant is attractive and the flower spikes of dark reddish purple flowers are showy. 

houndstongue seed on a shoelaceI made the mistake of letting it grow in my yard for the flowers. Now I seek and destroy all the plants in the spring. If the seeds can't reach your socks they will cling onto your laces and glue them together. 


Another hitcher is called Goat's Head. This little seed is so spiny that it can actually puncture bicycle tires. Think what this can do to an unsuspecting dog's foot.  I don't know if they have any effect on horses or cows, but man, they are nasty. The plant grows so flat on the ground that it becomes invisible, blending in with or under other vegetation. 

These are just a few of the hitchers that get carried around by people, animals, the wind, boats--you name it. But it does make you stop and think just how far stuff can spread by hitching a ride. 






No comments:

Post a Comment