Tuesday, October 13, 2015

13 October 2013 - Fleet Week Air Show

I was in San Francisco last weekend. When I went I had no idea it was Fleet Week, which brings more than a million people down to the waterfront. I was at the waterfront looking for birds, but found a whole new kind of birds--motorized birds performing incredible stunts. This was the first air show I have ever seen and I must say I enjoyed it immensely. 

The finale featured the Blue Angels who were absolutely amazing. 

It started with the Navy Leap Frogs Parachute Team jumping out of an old prop plane.

First  out was a guy who unfurled a huge American flag. His flag was four times as large as his parachute. He was followed by the team who linked up in the air. 



When the three of them linked up it was hard to imagine why the parachutes didn't tangle. 



Not sure what this plane was, but it was small and fast.

Because the show was on the SF Bay, there was a US Coast Guard Rescue demonstration. From my vantage point, it was behind some trees so I didn't see much.   

Next up was the Red Star Pilots Formation Team...

















followed by Michael Wiskus in a small plane that spun straight down creating beautiful spirals. 



His acrobatic exploits were followed by the Patriots Jet Team. The surprise here was that this is a civilian team. Wow. 

Stuff to make your hair stand on end. 

Oh yeah, then they all fly upside down. 



Unbelievably there was a 20 minute commercial for United Airlines who sponsored the event. A former flight attendant extolled all the virtues of United while a 747 lumbered in three slow circles over the Bay. It was funny in an odd way. 

Nearing the end, we have Sean Tucker flying the Team Oracle biplane. He executed many straight up flights, then the plane would stall out and plummet before the engines started again. These guys definitely have a screw loose. He flew upside down, too. 


Finally it was time for the big finale. The Blue Angels are everything you can imagine and more. They burst over the Bay, out of the smoke in a roar of noise accompanied by nonstop breath-taking action. I didn't even realize I was holding my breath until I had to gasp for air. Whew. 


Seriously crazy.

And since one up, and one upside-down wasn't enough, they tried it with two up and two upside down. 

They go up...

Then come back upside-down. 






Full speed runs past each other, both upside down. 

From this...
 to this.


And this...

to this spiral explosion.

And finally, this

to this lovely fleur de lis.

I was exhilarated and exhausted by the time they were through. I would definitely do this again. 







No comments:

Post a Comment