Wednesday, August 31, 2011

31 August 2011 - Feral amusements


The ferals provide me with hours of entertainment. They dash about the yard, play all sorts of silly chase and attack or sneak and attack games, not to mention their forays up the maple tree where they end up on our roof. 

This morning after I fed the cats and fixed my own breakfast, I went out on the deck with a cup of coffee.  I noticed the pear tree was shaking. What? Squirrels after the pears again? 

Big Fluff and Hughie were all cozied up together at the base of the tree, totally unconcerned, so I figured it couldn’t be squirrels.


 I watched the bouncing limbs and up near the top appears Little Fluff. 


She is really busy up there and I finally realize she is using the pears as toys. She’s boxing with them!  If she knocks a pear off the branch, she moves to the next pear.What a little brat!  She slowly works her way to the very top of the tree. 


 She was working over the pear right in front of her face when she lost her footing. There was some frantic scrambling before she was able to get back on top of the branch instead of clinging to it from underneath.  


She regained her footing and composure and took some more whacks at the pears hanging below her branch before she sauntered back down the tree.


Odd little cat! But this is the kind of behavior that makes me late for work. In the scheme of things, it is definitely worth being late for. And even better? It makes me laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment