Friday, August 12, 2011

12 August 2011 - Say it ain't so

I had one of those moments today. The kind that stop you dead in your tracks. I took my first cup of coffee out on the deck this morning. The air was crisp and cool--wait, what? Crisp? Yes, crisp like the first hint of fall. I stood there in disbelief. Then as I was pulling out of the driveway on my way to work I saw a small sprig of leaves on the dogwood starting to turn red. My mind was screaming, "Too early! Please say it isn't so." It is only August.

In other news, we have the backyard rodent report. The biggest woodchuck I have ever seen is living in the culvert under Ann Mary's driveway. He often slithers under our fence and wanders through the new lot. I generally chase him off, firstly because I don't want him eating our veggies, and secondly, because it is really fun to watch him run. He humps like a ferret or weasel, but because he is so large it rather comical to watch. It's a   little hard to see in this picture, but his muzzle is gray and he has a lot of gray on his shoulders. He must be pretty old.

The other rodents that are showing up regularly are two black squirrels. They have discovered the sunflower feeder and spend quite a bit of time eating the seeds. The ferals are most interested and practice their stalking skills on the squirrels. 

They are smaller than the fox squirrels that have been in the yard since we moved here. I read some where that the black squirrels are aggressive and will chase the fox squirrels out of a neighborhood.


In addition to this, I have seen the occasional chipmunk on the front sidewalk. Where are they all coming from? Makes you wonder. On the upside, we have not had any gophers or moles this year. Could the ferals be keeping that population under control?  Don't know, but I know I appreciate not falling in tunnels when I walk across the lawn.

There are other entries to the backyard shenanigans: for example, this incredible gaping maw. I believe the parent is thinking "I don't want to go down that worm hole!"

This is the third sparrow brood in that bird house so far this summer. I'm pretty sure there is only one bird-chick in the nest. Wonder if the others fell out, were pushed out, or if a starling sneaked in and laid an egg for the unsuspecting sparrows to raise.


My garden angel is getting a nice patina after all these years of standing on guard. It doesn't matter what season of the year it is, whether he is surrounded by flowers or covered with snow, I am just happy to know he is out there watching over my little world.

I need to figure out how to get him back to SLC with me. 

Even though it is only August, I have fall plants blooming early.  The fall anemones are opening now.  The clethra is full bloom. It fills the backyard with a heavy sweet scent. I love it!  So do the big, black wasps and mud daubers. They swarm over the flower spikes and defend their territory from any comers. The purple berry bush is setting its berries now, too. It all seems too early.

August skies are very distinctive. Mornings will show off incredibly clear blue skies. By afternoon, the horizon will be covered with puffy, but flat bottomed clouds. Here's a typical August afternoon sky.

This is a daily sight on my way home from work. 



























No comments:

Post a Comment