Wednesday, October 2, 2019

3 October 2019 - Road tripping over signage

Getting home from the Printers' Fair involved a semi-unexpected road trip. I flew out to Cedar Rapids, then drove south to Mount Pleasant. But after indulging in some great purchases at the Fair, with no way to get them on the plane. . . I ended up driving home. It is seventeen hours from Mount Pleasant to Salt Lake. Oh, boy.  But the upside involved birding stops, the chance to drive back roads, and driving through small towns to indulge one of my other interests--neon and other signage. 

Many of you know I love old neon signs, which are getting harder to find. I also love old motel signs, bowling alley signs, and theater signs which are more prevalent in small towns. My newest sign obsession are vintage signs made by Signtronix. There are still quite a few of those around, although many are being replaced by LED signage. (Boo hiss) 

Signtronix made signs are iconic. You've probably seen many of them. They are small, slightly rectangular, usually have three words and an illustration--everything you need to know in one quick look. The words and illustration are raised from the surface. The older ones feature more interesting illustrations than newer ones. But it is still fun to spot them. 

Here are some of my favorite motel signs from the trip followed by some of the Signtronix. 




This was one of my favorites from the trip!  So 50s! And drive-in liquor. That would never happen in the dry state of Utah. 



Of all the Signtronix  I saw, this Burger Station sign was my absolute favorite. It is special for me because it has the three words, a great graphic and best of all, the type face used is called Broadway. Pretty sly. And yes, it is on a street named Broadway in Rock Springs. 







Then there are the signs painted on buildings. . .







Amazing how much fun you can have driving through little towns! 

No comments:

Post a Comment