Saturday, September 3, 2016

3 September 2016 - Goals and Milestones

It is so interesting how life can change your outlook. In my case it was working in sales and having a boss who was both driven and goal-oriented. I think I've mentioned that I never liked being told what to do, especially if I was already going to do it. So having to come up with sales plans and goals for each customer by month, by quarter, by year was, to put it mildly, not my thing. I have always been a positive person, with the attitude of why do I need a plan? I can get this done. 

But before I realized what had happened, the goal thing sneaked up on me. And I have discovered, to my chagrin, that like it or not, it is all about goals. (Oh no, say it isn’t so!) And it is amazing what and how much you can accomplish when you have goals. Goals, are one thing, but you also have to plan how to get there. 

So my boss ruined me--in a good way. You all know I am a crazy, obsessed birder. This year, among other things, my goal was to hit 400 life birds.  I found myself laughing  when I realized it was just like making sales goals. Here’s what I need, here’s what’s in the bag and how am I going to get the rest. I found myself tracking results on a monthly basis. Which also made me laugh. I would think to myself that I left the sales job but the lessons I learned from my boss stuck. Life is goals. And it is easier when you have a plan to make them.

So today on September 3rd, I hit my 400th life bird. And it is only September. I have four months of the year left. My boss would have given me 'The Look' and said, "Making your goal is your job. Coming in over your goal is expected! What are you going to do now?"  Well, I'm going to up my goal. 

And like any other plan, priorities can change and so do my goals.  Who are you and what have you done with Lauri pops into my head a lot. I  had spent my entire life flying by the seat of my pants. Spontaneity was my byword. I would never have believed I would turn into a goal-driven person. Amazing. And I can live as spontaneously as I want—I just get more done in the meantime.

Today's bird, number 400 was an American Golden Plover. This is the non-breeding plumage. Look him up to see how gorgeous he is when trying to impress the ladies. 

And since we are talking birds, number 398, found on August 20 was a Pectoral Sandpiper. Today, I finally got a decent photo of it as well. 

Yes, fall migration is underway and many shorebirds are moving south to Mexico or South America, which partly explains why number 400 is a plover. It is hard to stay home and get things done, when your head is saying, go find a sandpiper.

In addition to goals, one other thing I disliked about working in corporate America is the tendency for Sales VPs to use sports metaphors and analogies. Erg. But I now have a rather favorite quote, and while it isn't sports related, it is from a sports guy. 

“If you are bored with life, if you don’t get up every morning with a burning desire to do things, you don’t have enough goals.” Lou Holtz

I have goals. Life goals. House goals. Yard goals. Travel goals. Bird goals. And I have a spreadsheet with steps. Who needs resolutions?  I have goals and a plan to get there. 

I feel the need to celebrate this milestone. In about ten minutes I will be lounging on the patio with a potent Blue Goose in hand! 




2 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Lauri! 400 life birds - so impressive. I won't lie... I had to keep looking back and forth between the two pictures to see that they were different birds. You have a talent - glad your boss didn't drive the spontaneity out of you!

    I hit a big milestone this week! I found my 7,000th geocache! I'll share pictures from my Standish to Mackinaw City US 23 adventure soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of the differences can be so subtle. Beak length. Leg color. Eye-ring or no eye-ring. I learn something new every day.

    7000 geocaches? Is that some sort of a record? Surely you have already set a record for geocaching every day!

    ReplyDelete