Monday, June 20, 2016

20 June 2016 - Summer Solstice and Summer Songs

First day of summer and it is hot. Currently it is 97 degrees and it looks to be continuing this way all week. 

I spent my day staying cool by getting wet. Thought I ought to clean out the fountain pool so even if it's hot I could at least hear falling water, which you have to admit is a very cooling sound. I got the stagnant water drained out of the upper and lower pools. By drained I mean me and a bucket. Then I took my fireman's nozzle to the concrete for a good cleaning and had to bucket all the water out again. I got soaked, but it felt great. Now I just need to hook up the pump but I'm not sure I remember which hose goes where. It's always something. 

I also celebrated with my family's favorite summer drink, a root beer float. It has to be A&W root beer with French Vanilla ice cream. And it just isn't right unless it is served in a frosty mug right out of the freezer.  

My father introduced me to another drink that has become a summer favorite as well. It's called a Blue Goose, but I can only drink it at home, or if there is someone else to drive.
  
One drink and I'm done in. It consists of Grey Goose Vodka, Hypnotiq, Blue Curacao and a bit of lemonade. Shake it over ice and serve in a chilled, ice-filled glass. Pretty, but oh so potent! My advice is don't drink this on an empty stomach. A paper umbrella might make you think you are on a beach, but it really doesn't need one. 

I have an internal soundtrack for my life. No matter where I am, or what the situation is, there is a song in my head that may or may not be apropos to what is happening.  Today though, summer songs were accompanying my every move. 
Jerry Mungo - In the Summertime
Donovan - Sunshine Superman
The Drifters - Under the Boardwalk
Sly and the Family Stone - Hot Fun in the Summertime
Moody Blues - Tuesday Afternoon
Otis Redding - The Dock of the Bay
Eric Burdon and War - Spill the Wine
Richard Harris - MacArthur Park
Beach Boys - Quite a few came in and out during the day. You have to admit they are the quintessential summer band. Not only that, but the first album I ever bought was Surfin' Safari. 
Lou Reed - Walk on the Wild Side
Joni Mitchell - Woodstock
Grateful Dead - Friend of the Devil, Truckin'
Martha and the Vandellas - Dancing in the Street

Speaking of summer drinks, there were quite a few Jimmy Buffett songs in there as well. Mind you, the entire songs did not go through my head. Just snippets drifting in and out reminding me that it's five o'clock somewhere. 

There were more, but those are the ones I remember off the top of my head. As I write this I have The Beatles Here Comes the Sun flitting around behind my eyes. So much music. 

In retrospect, it surprises me how many of these are older songs. Were summer songs better in the 60s and 70s?  Could be. 

Meanwhile, if the effects of the goose wear off, I will end my first day of summer up the canyons.  First stop will be up Little Cottonwood to see if I can find the Black Swifts. Then over to East Canyon to see if any Poorwills or Flammulated Owls are out and about. 

And that's as perfect as a first day of summer can get. Happy Solstice, everyone! 









1 comment:

  1. Oh, I am jealous. Taking care of family responsibilities, I feel that the summer hasn't started for me. No sand between my toes, no trips for custard, no cherry limeades. This put me in the mood to get out, though!

    ReplyDelete