Thursday, February 4, 2016

4 February 2016 - Signs of Spring

You are probably thinking I have gone quite mad.  It is only February, the ground is still covered with snow, I have waist high piles of snow lining the driveway and porch and here I am, talking about spring.  But spring doesn't happen overnight. It comes slowly over time and is already underway. 

Over the last several days I have noticed the birds at my feeders have begun to sing. They are singing their full spring songs, not the little chirps, calls and mutters that punctuate the cold days of winter. Yes, I find myself standing outside, freezing in my shirtsleeves just listening to the streaming joy. 

Next, while in bird watching mode I have observed the ducks are picking mates. Right now the Common and Barrow's Goldeneyes are great fun to watch. The males have picked out their favorite female and work hard at driving other males away. This is not to say that the chosen female has picked the male though. 

Here is a Common Goldeneye male in full chase. He flattens out and propels through the water like a speed boat. 

Once he has driven the interloping male away he throws his head back in triumph and emits a series of high pitched squeaks. 

In my own yard the finches are showing interest in pairing up. Females are soliciting food from males. Not sure if this is just a courtship ritual or if the female is looking for a good provider. 

On January 31st I was wandering through Red Butte Gardens. I was looking to see what plants looked great in winter. Mmm. Lots! 

One I am lusting over is a dogwood called Winter Flame. The branches are neon yellow at the base and bright orange-red at the top. Dramatic against the snow. 

But back to my spring is coming theme, check out these buds!

If you look at tree branches silhouetted against the sky, you'll notice that the buds are swelling, especially on maples and cottonwoods. 




A closer look reveals green tips. How happy is this? 

My neighbor's magnolia tree is busy pushing out fat buds. 

And most fun? The Great Blue Herons are working on their nests at the rookery. First he chooses a stick from an unclaimed nest. 


Here he is coming in for a landing at his own nest.  

Followed by the hand-off. Or should that be beak-off?
At any rate she gets to tuck the stick into the perfect spot. 

All this is living proof that change is ever present. You may think we are in the dead of winter but life is stirring and sap is flowing. Such a marvelous world we live in. Circumspice! 

CLS: 
On Feb. 9, just five days after I wrote this, I saw another sign of spring. Calving has already started. 
Seems early to see babies in the snow. Oh boy, twins. 






1 comment:

  1. Hi Lauri,

    I haven't commented in awhile, but I savor each blog post. Wonderful escapism! I'm chuckling over your gecko post (and found myself looking for a nearby gecko exhibit). And I like the details of the Great Blue Herons above - reminded me of Steve & myself doing our Spring cleaning this weekend ("It doesn't go there!").

    Thank you for sharing! I'm looking forward to watching Spring unfurl.

    Happy February,
    Elisa

    ReplyDelete