Friday, September 25, 2015

25 September 2015 - Color Tour

I have been watching the color try to change on the mountain. It has been so hot and dry here that many of the trees leaves are going straight to brown and falling off. Wasn't wet enough for much color on the western slopes. I needed an excuse to get out of the house and a road trip sounded like a good idea. In the higher elevations the aspen were yellow, but I missed the prime color by a week. Even knowing the color was early this year, I was surprised by how many totally bare trees there were. 

But it was a gorgeous day to be out. Deep Utah blue skies, golden aspens and wonderful vistas. 





I happened to run across a caterpillar that was moving very fast across the boardwalk. Interesting colors and quite striking. I had the thought of picking him up and putting him back down so I could get a good picture but didn't do it. When I got home and looked him up I discovered it was a good decision. Those spikey hairs can cause great itchy discomfort as well as trigger allergic reactions. He turns into a Spotted Tussock Moth, not nearly as pretty as the caterpillar. 



Sometimes the road traveled through groves of aspens. Driving into this yellow glow made me wonder if this is what it is like for insects preserved in amber. 





My trip took me to the top of Big Cottonwood Canyon, up over Guardsman Pass (elevation 9719 feet) back down several miles of steep dirt roads, up again to another pass overlooking Heber Valley, then another steep descent into Midway, a picturesque little town.

Big Cottonwood Canyon was yellow with aspens. The other side of Guardsman Pass on the Pine Canyon side was red with maples. 


You just never know what you will see. I had to pull over gawk in amazement, then laugh at this. All I can say is I don't know what they are but I really want one, or better yet several, so I can roll around with friends. Doesn't this look like a blast? 

These kids were running into each other, turning summersaults, rolling around and laughing like loons. 

I took the opportunity to do a little birding along the river, the reservoir and the Heber Creeper railroad tracks. 






It was a lovely day to be out. 




2 comments:

  1. Lauri, Absolutely amazing pictures! So beautiful and presented in such a way that I felt like I was on the road trip with you :) Loved how clear the water is, framed by such colorful trees. The kids playing? Those are knockerballs. We had them at the company picnic this year - all the rage and an absolute hoot. Thank you for sharing, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knockerballs? I will be googling that. Did you try it?

    ReplyDelete