Tuesday, June 16, 2015

16 June 2015 - Robin - Remembering the Fun


Guy Clark wrote a song called "My Favorite Picture of You" that starts out:

My favorite picture of you
Is the one where you're staring
Straight into the lens

It's just a Polaroid shot
Someone took on the spot
No beginning no end

It is one of those haunting songs that stays with you a long time. 

Today is the six month anniversary of my sister's death. I am still having a very hard time moving forward without her. We talked every single day for years, often emailing many times a day as well. She was my friend, my confidant, my guru, my mentor, and in my artistic endeavors she was my best critic and collaborator. But most of all, she was my sister. 
She was an amazing person who believed she could make a difference everyday, even if it was in just person's life. At her funeral the words used over and over to describe her were grace and compassion. And one woman started by saying "I will be the fourth person here today to use the word 'gazelle' to describe Robin.

Robin generally looked very cool, calm and elegant, but she was not afraid to be silly and she treasured a good laugh. She was always up for an adventure and because of that, her life was filled with adventures.

Unlike the person in the song who stared into the camera because she was angry, Robin always looked into the camera with love at whoever was behind the lens and a lot of laughter. 

   Here is a fabulous example--a combination of grace and silliness. First, all dressed up for New Year's Eve, then dressed for a costume party with the theme of glamor.




Needless to say, her glamorous bearded lady was the winner. It never fails to astound me just how real the beard looks. 

Fish-eye view inside an aquarium.

 Perfectly placed in front of a deer.

Then there was the day we rode the Golden Gate Park Carousel six times in a row to try out as many animals as possible.




Robin was able to drive the steam engine at the Nevada Northern Railroad Museum. The weather didn't cooperate--it blew up a blizzard for the occasion, but it did not dim her smile. 
And with her hand on the throttle!


Robin was an artist who created one-of-a-kind books. All were bound by hand as well. Here she is with some of her work that was featured in a gallery in New York. 


Contemplating one of David's completely bodacious deserts.

















At the top of Big Mountain. Great views of the valley, plus some of the trail getting there. 



I particularly like this next picture. So typical of Robin--she's meeting the world with open arms and her head is back while laughing.  Ta-da! It is her great attitude and wonderful way to view life. 


My favorite picture of her?  I don't really have a favorite, but I cherish the many memories that pop up in my head with no notice at all.







 
 

2 comments:

  1. Aw. Beautiful tribute, my friend. But I think you can take one last life lesson from her..... she's smiling and living life. She would want you to move forward to. Go out and do something graceful yet silly today, ok?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well. Kind of. I went to the Bear River Migratory Bird Refuge today. I managed to get a picture of a Great Blue Heron flying away from me. Graceful. Got home and downloaded my photos to find that he was leaving a long trail of poop behind him. Silly. Guess that works! :-)








    ReplyDelete