Friday, April 3, 2015

3 April 2015 - Roadtrip Delights: Vintage Gasoline Station Artifacts

I had a plan for the day. Nothing much, take a 240 mile drive in a big circle: South to Payson, then take a right to the west side of the Oquirrh Mountains then north past Tooele and back east to home. 

Naturally birding was involved, but that was just a sideline for a favorite route. My grandmother loved this trip and I used to take her on this drive every time I came to visit. But like most of my road trips, it had several unexpected twists and turns. 

I was heading toward the third birding stop in Provo when I had to do one of my patented slam on the brakes and hit the side of the road.  Whoa. Now this was just cool. There is a very large storage center whose owner collects gas station memorabilia.  What fun is this?  Next up are a lot of photos that I hope make you smile! 

This wonderful little kid's fire engine is mounted on their sign post.
My inner child still wants one of these. It even has the pull cord for the bell.


Here's a better look at the plane.


I have never seen so many old gas pumps in one place. They are just amazing!  These six are just a few in the collection. 


And aren't the colors cheerful?  Wonder what the subliminal message is. Buy gas, take a trip and be happy? Works for me!





How many of these companies do you remember?  When I was very young UTOCO was the gas station of choice for my parents. My sister and I always wanted them to stop at Mobil because we loved the Pegasus logo.  And how many of you ever played on the green dinosaur at the Sinclair stations? 

Needless to say, this stopped me in my tracks and brought back many memories. 


2 comments:

  1. LOVE IT! LOVE IT! You've taken this route before? So this display was rather new? That is so cool! Many of these signs I've only seen in a diner in Wauseon, OH. Glad to see birding taking you to interesting places, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope! this was a quick trip off my route for a birding stop. The guy has been collecting for years! Normally this trip would take about 4 hours, but it took me 9 hours to do the loop. My eyes were about to fall out of my head when I finally got home. Looked out!

      Delete