Sunday, March 1, 2015

1 March 2015 - Not Peking Duck

Hands down, Peking Duck has got to be my all-time favorite meal. Granted I like duck just about anyway it can be cooked, but Peking Duck is pretty darned tasty. 

Today I saw a Mandarin Duck. The only thing it has in common with Peking Duck is that they are both from China. This Mandarin showed up in a small pond at a park not too far from me. What a treat to see this magnificent little bird. 


He has been hanging out with a bunch of mallards. He has even gone so far as to pick out a female whom he is guarding assiduously. He chases off any mallard that gets close. He is a very feisty little guy, considering he is about half the size of the mallards. 

Here's his girl. You can see she is quite a bit larger. And afterwards, you can see him in comparison to a male Mallard. 



Each time he chased off another male, he would do a little ritual where he stands up in the water and flaps. Who knew birds did victory dances?

I was enthralled with all the colors on this duck. Turquoise crest, purple neck, plus all the orange and gold.  




 
The two sails that stand up near his tail are each a single, very large feather.   

Here's a good look at his crest and purple neck.
 
 I know, way too many pictures, but oh my, this is one handsome duck. 

Just another day watching birds. Doesn't get much better than this. 

1 comment:

  1. Stunning. My first thought was, "This duck can't be real." My second thought was, "What amazing colors for a quilt!" Keep it up! I'm looking forward to this year of birds :)

    ReplyDelete