Saturday, May 3, 2014

3 May 2014 - Burrowing Owls and Other Delights

Robin is arriving today! I get her for a week. It will be great. Her flight is coming in at 2pm, so I took a detour on the way to get her--a 30 mile detour to Antelope Island. What the  heck. Turned out to be one of my best decisions. I found the burrowing owls. 

I know where they are supposed to be. I look for them every time I'm on the island. This time they were outside the burrow looking  around. They are only 9 inches high, so they disappear into the grass very quickly.

 We had some rain and snow in late April and early May, so the island was greening up. It was fun to see the birds amongst wild flowers. 

The chukars were out in big numbers--probably saw 20 or more. I love their bright pink bills and legs. The red eye is pretty wonderful too. 


After finding the burrowing owls, went to the hay barn at the buffalo corrals to check on the great horned owls' nesting box. To my delight, the baby was sitting up in the box. 

Won't be long before it is out on its own. 







Funny thing about birding. You go out and look until your eyes hurt.  You come home and find something unexpected. 

Tonight a flock of cedar waxwings came through. Easily 50 or more birds. They hit the apple tree and proceeded to consume the flower petals as though they hadn't eaten in a week. They were in the yard about 20 minutes then gone. It is so easy to miss something wonderful. 

Constant vigilance. Professor Moody had that right. 
 
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment