Thursday, April 10, 2014

10 April 2104 - So soon it starts

I do not wish to rub the warmer weather we are having in the face of all my Midwestern friends who are still struggling with piles of snirt in parking lots and along driveways, but...today?  Today I mowed the lawn. Seems mighty early to be doing that. Granted, I did fertilize in early March, right before some snow and rain storms, so that added to the length, but still. 

On April 1 we received 6 inches of snow which was gone in a day and a half. On April 3 we had rain, hail and snow. A couple days later I'm mowing the lawn. Makes me think my world is slightly askew. 

Yesterday while on my daily mile, I noticed all kinds of spring.  My own yard has daffodils, hyacinths, grape hyacinths, windflowers and mahonia in bloom, not to mention the apricot and crabapple trees are covered in blossoms. 




On my walk, I noticed that some of the aspens had leafed out, and the evil, invasive, escaped garden plant, spurge was taking over the hillside. Every spring Salt Lake City hosts a Purge the Spurge weekend--paying people by the garbage bag full for digging up this stuff. Here is a huge patch of spurge on the mountain side- already blooming.


 At this time of year I also love how the bright chartreuse leaf buds are so showy against other bare branches. This willow tree is a great example. 

Every now and then you can find a small patch of trout lilies.  They used to grow wild all over this area, but have mostly disappeared under lawns and landscaping. This entire plant is four inches tall.
They are a most charming harbinger of spring.
 The early bloomers around here  mostly come in shades of yellow and blue.  Even the dandelions are starting to show up in lawns. Last year I spent hours on my knees communing with a digger and hope mine are mostly eradicated, but you never know what seeds the wind, birds or deer will drop for your enjoyment. 

This evening I was down in the valley, which is a frou-frou mass of white and pink. Redbuds, weeping cherries, ornamental plums are in full pink froth, accented by hundreds of white blooming Bradford pears. Speaking of invasive species, am I the only one who thinks the ubiquitous Bradford should be banned?  

The weekend highs should hit the low 70s. This will ensure the fat coral buds on the quince will burst into flowers. Blooming quince always is the signal for the return of the hummingbirds. The feeder is now up and ready for any early, tired and hungry hummer.  I live by the adage, if you feed them, they will come. So far, I have and they do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment