Sunday, March 16, 2014

16 March 2014 - Butterflies

Today was amazing--60 degrees and sunny. I spent the morning puttering around the yard, cleaning up winter debris.  I was sitting on the porch in a sunny spot and on the phone with a friend when I was shocked to see a butterfly flying around the yard. March 16th. Who'd a thunk you'd see a butterfly this early?  

Granted it was a Mourning Cloak, probably the earliest of the butterflies to show up because the adults overwinter, but still!

Since our March days have  been seeing 10 degrees higher than average, I guess it makes sense that a few butterflies would venture out.  Although tomorrow we are supposed to get a front coming in from the north bringing high winds and snow. Typical March see-saw weather. 

Where I live, on the mile high mark, there are crocus and snowdrops in bloom and tiny green leaflets on the lilacs, quince and rose bushes.  I drove down into the valley today to take a birthday pie to my brother. I was happy to see spring was much further along. 

Forsythia was casting a golden glow along many streets and the ornamental plum trees were already blooming--looking much like frothy pink and white tutus. Lots of tiny green leaves were showing on shrubs and trees. Daffodils were also blooming in abundance.

After pie we checked out his yard and another butterfly flew by. This time it was a satyr anglewing (yes-angle, not angel). Two butterflies on the same day.  That was totally unexpected, but fun. 

David has a monster pussy willow growing by his pond. The little fuzzy paws are completely bloomed out and were being worked over by bees. We could tell they were not honey bees, but they were too high to see what they were. 

17 March
Funny stuff. Things usually happen to me in threes. I hear a new word--I'll hear it two more times almost immediately.  So yesterday I saw two different butterflies. 

Then today, out of the blue, this postcard from my sister showed up in my mailbox. The universe works in weird and wonderful ways. 

And yes, the  forecast was correct. After a lovely 60 degree day yesterday, today it is snowing combined with high winds. Everything is moving! Maybe even the house.





No comments:

Post a Comment