Monday, February 17, 2014

17 February 2014 - Long Weekend

What a treat to have a three day weekend. I took Friday off as well, so it was almost a mini vacation. The weather made it even more pleasant. Abnormally high temperatures and warm winds melted all the snow in the yard over the weekend. 

This morning I discovered  snowdrops coming up in the lawn that yesterday was under snow.  In addition, there are snowdrops scattered across the lawn that are all blooming. I have a vague recollection of planting a bag of bulbs in the front yard last fall. 

I also took advantage of the warmer weather to get some early spring clean up done, raking up seed hulls from under the feeders and picking up downed limbs. It felt great to get out if only for a little while.


We are having quite the early spring. In the mornings, the robins have joined the chirping chorus, adding another level to the symphony created by house finches, song sparrows, chickadees and countless other singers. 
I took a drive out to Antelope Island today. I heard Meadowlarks and  Red-winged Blackbirds. Definitely spring. Not many birds to see today. Ran across several Horned Larks. 



I tried to locate a meadow lark that was being heard but not seen. I was skirting the edges of the buffalo corrals and ended up in the hay barn in my efforts to sneak up on him. I was delighted to discover a Great Horned Owl in a nesting box up by the roof, and about ten feet away from her was her guy, sleeping on a tension wire. Never did find the Meadowlark.

                                                                                                         






The landscape was stunning, as usual. 




 Leaving the island, I had pulled over on the causeway to check out a cluster of gulls. Turns out I was not the only one checking them out. 

She looks pretty well fed. 

On the way home I took a quick detour over to Farmington Bay. Both the wetlands and the open water were still frozen over. The road was muddy and rutted making for a miserable drive. The highlight was a ring-necked pheasant.  

I was talking with another birder who was photographing the pheasant. He told me the DNR had released quite a few of these pheasants in the area last November.  Hmm, that explains the leg band.

 

He also told me there was a bald eagle just up the street and over a block.  It is much easier to spot them when the trees are bare. But notice how big the leaf buds are getting. 

Waiting to get back out to the main street I noticed a huge nest with ears sticking up. I whipped over to the side and took a look. 

Wow! Another pair of Great Horned Owls-- female in the nest and the male fifteen feet away and well disguised among the branches. Protective coloring at work.



What a great day! 

Moving from the sublime to the ridiculous. It amazes me on a daily basis to see how many cars have stick families on their back windows. But over the weekend I saw two new ones.  The second one made me roar with laughter. 
















No comments:

Post a Comment