Friday, January 17, 2014

2 January 2014 - Birds, tides, street cars and signage in San Francisco


Robin and I spent the morning pushing furniture around in her living room. When we were kids sharing a bedroom, about once a month we would rearrange all the furniture just for the sake of changing. Robin is trying to make her living area an oasis of calm. This involved lots of decluttering, getting rid of some furniture and electronics she no longer needs. 

Moving things out freed us up to try her existing furniture in many new arrangements. We settled on one that we both liked. I think it looks friendly and welcoming. 

I rather enjoyed this. I have taken advantage of "Ruthless Robin" many times during packing and unpacking. She is the queen of why do you need that? When did you last use it? Really, how many of these do you need?  It was fun to be on the other side for a change. 


When I could not shove another chair even an inch, we took a break and went to Heron's Head Park. On our journey to the park, we passed a cement factory that had a wonderful mural on the towers facing the city. I liked that the cement truck in front was a bright yellow--complementing the mural. The red tire rims were a nice touch, too.

It was another beautiful day, even though there was a haze of smog in the air. Although the visitor's center was closed, we walked up to see a huge sculpture on the front of the building. 

While I really liked the great blue heron and crescent moon, I was somehow reminded of the crucifix. What do you think, am I crazy? If Jesus were a bird?

As we walked out to the point we passed a tiny shallow bay next to a long industrial pier filled with equipment for repairing ships. Next to this was an abandoned, falling down pier. I really wanted to wade out and walk on it. Reason prevailed. That and the water was really cold. Picturesque, though. It would make an interesting amusement park ride, in and out of the water.

We arrived on an ebb tide. The shoreline here was filled with wading birds: whimbrels, willets, sandpipers (several kinds), killdeer, sanderlings, godwits and avocets. They blended in with the dark sandy shore. 

I tagged another lifer here. An American Wigeon. No, it is not related to a pigeon. 

This is another duck. A stunning duck. The male was in breeding plumage and depending how the light hit his head, the feathers glowed in metallic green or bronze. 

This trip also offered a brown pelican flyover, a sea lion swimming by, snowy egrets, crows, ravens, meadowlarks, and more.  Out by the point I saw a Robin perched on a step.

We wandered the paths until dusk. I don't understand why the birds are always on the wrong side of the light!


 
The afternoon ended with a lovely skyscape. 

On the way to the point and back home again, Robin drove by a set of tide poles. I do mean poles, not pools. 

 The yellow insert rises and lowers with the tide. Robin and I think each black line represents a foot of water. This shot was taken during the ebb tide. 

 There are three of these posts set on the Embarcadero to illustrate tide in and tide out--a nice combination of art, engineering and education. 
 
Here it is again during the high of the king tide. On January 1, the water level on the bay dropped nearly one foot an hour. That is a dramatic amount of water. These pipes look like minimalist art, but are a wonderful, subtle way of illustrating the water movement.

I am enamored of the street cars that run along the Embarcadero. One day I will find a great spot to stand and get photos of all the cars in their splendid plumage. As it is, I was trying to capture them from the car as we drove past. Not the best opportunity. But aren't these lovely?

 



And of course there is my ongoing love affair with signage. Whether it is painted on walls or neon I love it all. 
 




How could you possible go wrong here? Private phones. Elegantly furnished rooms, and some with a private bath as well. And steam heat? Where is Marilyn when you need her?

2 comments:

  1. Reading your lively stories bring it all back for me! It also shows me delightful details I missed.
    Great catch on the old hotel! I wonder where that was because I don't remember seeing it. Must be close to the Tenderloin. Your back-lit egret... wow. Really, you could be profiting on your beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The building with the faint hotel signs was on Ellis Street behind the San Francisco Hilton. I loved the signage. Rooms with private bathrooms and phones. I'm sure that was a big incentive years ago. Who knows- now that almost everyone has cell phones, maybe a real phone in a room might become a privilege again.

      Delete