Sunday, September 8, 2013

8 September 2013 - At last, rain

If you have been following along for any amount of time, you know it has been hot here. Hottest summer since 1961. 52 days over 95 degrees. In July we had 16 days in a row over 100. It has been hard to keep my posies watered, anything in a pot is arid in a day.  The lawns fluctuate from dry to crispy. 

Yesterday we had a quick downpour. It was wonderful. I set up my diverter in the street gutter and was able to soak the front strip of lawn along the road where the sprinklers don't quite reach. 

Last night it got downright chilly.  When the wind came up on top of the cooler temps I had to close the windows. Woke this morning to a light rain and 58 degrees. It has kept it up for almost five hours and the lawn has exploded into green. It doesn't take much of that free floating nitrogen to make a big difference. 

Odd things? When I went out to get the paper this morning I noticed a profusion of little white things in the lawn. Toadstools. Overnight. Just a little rain and they grow that quickly? I'm not talking one or two little toadstools but hundreds. At the moments their caps are less than a half inch wide. Be interesting to see what happens.

I actually left the house yesterday and got caught up on many errands. At one point I was pretty close to David's so I stopped by. Car was home but no answer at the door. 

Then I heard the chainsaw. Climbed over the fence and clambered through the hedges to find him about 25 feet up a tree. 

Another tree killed by the pine bark beetles. But damnit! Wish he'd call and say "Can you come spot for me?"  Sheesh. It's a wonder I don't have bleeding ulcers.

In order to get the backhoe next to the tree so he could put the ladder on the roof, he first had to take out a monster mulberry tree. 

The root ball is about four feet high. Looks much smaller in this picture. 

Back home I took some spray paint to the dried out yucca bloom stalks. Just adding some fall color to the yard. 

David has some yucca too. I may have to do some stealth painting. 

My big plan for today was to get another coat of paint on the back wall of the shop. But it is gray, the mountains are socked in with clouds, drizzly. I dunno. May just find a good book and another cup of coffee.

 

 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment