Wednesday, July 4, 2012

4 July 2012 - Independence

Today I declared independence. Independence from working on the house, from working in the yard, from working on anything. I had a totally lazy do-nothing day, and boy did it feel great. 

It was hot, in the high 90s, no breeze. What could be better than to find a comfy chair in the shade, a tall glass of iced tea and a book? Well, a hammock could possibly trump that, but ours is still packed away and we need to set a post before it can get hung. 

I stirred from the shade every now then to move water around the yard. Speaking of water, David came over and got the fountain working! It needed reinforced hoses and an additional water intake. 

 Once again, every time you try to do something, it takes a couple of trips to the hardware store and some standing around scratching your head while you consider your options. 


 Then there were clogged drains and tubing to deal with. Jack and David prevailed and soon the fountain was happily burbling away. There is nothing like the sound of falling water on a hot day.                                               

David also put in a blue spotlight, so the water sparkles when we run the fountain at dusk or into the night. And of course there is my garden angel guarding the pool.

All this to say I certainly enjoyed my lazy day. 
Every now and then I would need to give my eyes a rest, so I got up and wandered around my yard taking pictures of red, white and blue stuff. Thought I ought to do something along the patriotic line. 






We also decided that since it was the Fourth of July we should have an All-American dinner, so Jack grilled some thick steaks, threw some corn on the cob on the grill. Corn grilled in their husks is probably the most delicious corn I have ever tasted. This was followed by the traditional Winburn summer drink, a root beer float--the first one of the season and it was the perfect end to a perfect day.




No comments:

Post a Comment