Friday, March 2, 2012

2 March 2012 - Reaching a Zen State

I had an epiphany of sorts today. Ever had the experience when you are talking to someone and you say something that you had not before articulated, and it stops you dead in your tracks, as you may not have realized that you had reached that point?  Wow, that was a convoluted and confusing sentence.

Let me explain. I met Vern, one of my Dad's oldest friends for coffee today. I've known him for almost as long as I am old. He is well aware of all the challenges I face in rehabbing this house, reclaiming a yard from the jungle it has become and just the state of living here. My surprise came when I heard myself say that I had reached a zen state about the house--that I was totally calm and relaxed about what has to be done. 

I said that out loud, and inside my mind was just whirling, thoughts along this line: Oh my! That's true. When did that happen? How come I have not verbalized that before?  Did I only realize it as I said it? When we moved into the house in December, all I could see were all the items that need to be repaired, replaced, or even remodeled. Old kitchen, original floors, really leaky windows, every wall needing a new coat of paint-- the list was and is huge. 

As we began unpacking and getting more of our belongings put away the need to rush into fixing up has taken a back seat to the happiness of being here. Yes, I am still working on clean up and organizing, but all the urgency is gone. We have reached a laissez faire doctrine with the house. When and if is enough. What a great place to be. 

Every morning I get up, pour a cup of coffee and smile. I look out the kitchen window and tell Jack (for the umpteenth time) how happy I am to be here. I. Am. So. Very. Happy.  Might as well throw a bit of joy in there too! Happy happy joy joy.

But, don't think that means we haven't been working, it just means that the pressure is no longer there. We have evenings where we do nothing, but wander from window to window watching the deer come down the mountain, eat their way across the Stoker's yard then meander across the street into our yard, where they jump the fence and wander around our yard, eating sunflowers out of the bird feeder, drinking out of the birdbath and occasionally coming up on the porch to look in the window. How could anyone ignore all that free entertainment? 


In February I was able to spend a couple of weekends in the shop. Yea! Unpacked some boxes, did some organizing and clean up, and even was able to get two pieces printed for the  APA March bundle. Can I even convey how amazing it was to be able to walk out to the shop and be surrounded by so much good stuff? All my quilter friends with their copious stashes and supplies would understand.  

My office is downstairs. The stairs are raw wood. They have never been painted or finished in any way. Since I am now up and down them several times a day, I think about the stairs. I was sport shopping in my local hardware stores (I adore hardware stores) and saw a revolving rack filled with small bottles of paint samples. Well! That was an opportunity waiting to happen. 

Went home, washed the stairs a couple of times, years of ground-in dirt came out. Then I painted. The actual treads are stained not painted. I was taken with the name Oriental Ginger. The painted risers are a slight problem. Until I painted them, I never realized how often the heel of my shoe hits the riser as I go downstairs. There are lots of black scuff marks there now. But it make me smile when I climb upstairs. I still need to paint the walls, but I haven't decided whether to go bright white to add light to a dark stairway, or to go outrageous.






1 comment:

  1. I can hear your voice as I read this - I can imagine the shock and awe of your revelation?

    ReplyDelete