Friday, June 17, 2011

17 June 2011 - The Fragrant Garden

Over the years I have been trying to add scent to the yard. In late March, the yard is so filled with the scent of lilacs that when the bloom cycle is over and the smell is gone, the loss is palpable. I have been adding plants with potent fragrances to fill in throughout the rest of the season. I have sought out roses that actually smell. Right now when the breeze is out of the south I can smell the roses when I sit on the deck.


I also have a wonderful rose that absolutely surrounds you in a sweet light perfume when you approach it. Not only is it wonderfully fragrant, but it is a many color rose. The tight buds are orange, they open yellow, turn pink, then darker rose, and finally end up with white on the outside of the petals and dark rose with red speckles as it passes peak. It is hard to believe all those colors come on one plant.  

In addition to that, the honeysuckle is now in full bloom. It is a white and yellow variety like Mother Eee had growing next to her kitchen door. Its sweet essence wafts about the yard now. Love it! The scent of these potent sweet nectar flowers reminds me of warm summer nights watching the big night moths work over the flowers. As kids we used to pull the flowers off and suck the nectar out of the tubes. Such a happy smell!


The catalpa is in full bud and should burst this weekend. That will add a spicy bouquet to the mix. The flowers are astounding, looking like clusters of miniature orchids. They are exotic.


What next?  I filled one of the raised beds with petunias. Here is a vintner-ish description of petunias: This is a sweet light floral, blended with just a hint of green for a soft, pleasing scent. Great for Summer. Soothing, spirit recharging, uplifting.

Speaking of recharging, I saw the first lightning bug tonight! Such magic.

So I am luxuriating in the heavenly scents from my garden but there is a major omission. We have no bees. By this time of year, my yard should be awash in bees. Bees bumping into each other in their pursuit of nectar and pollen. Honey bees, bumblebees, solitary bees, carpenter bees, sweat bees-- many different kinds of bees that are usually in great abundance among the flowers. Nothing!  We have seen two bumble bees, many black mud daubers, but bees? They are among the missing.

I am mystified. Yes, I have read all the articles about the decline of the honey bee, but for all the many different kinds of bees to just disappear? Was it the overly long, cold winter? Did they bees starve? Did they come out and get frozen? What?

In other news, because it is June we are getting snow. Cottonwood snow, that is. Even the slightest hint of breeze brings squalls of cottonwood seeds that float like snowflakes and create drifts.  When I drive to work in the morning, the side of the road under the big cottonwoods is usually covered with white drifts. These piles of seed are accompanied by flocks of sparrows and other seed eaters. It must be either a delicious treat, or just easy pickings, as the birds barely get out of the road when I drive by.

No comments:

Post a Comment