Thursday, May 19, 2011

May 19 - Birds on buildings

Here in Michigan, we have a lot of Canada Geese. Actually, "a lot" is rather an understatement. In the spring it isn't unusual to have flocks in the parking lot where I work. There is a two week span where the geese will pair up and walk around on the roof, and honk loudly. You can hear them inside the building. Even though this happens every year, it is still a surprise to look up and see them on the roof edge.

If you could blow this picture up, you could see that the goose on the right is honking up a storm. His beak is open and you can see his pink tongue. They are on top of a three story office building.

The point of this is that I'm used to seeing large birds on buildings. But today... what a surprise!  I was walking down the aisle to my cubicle and in my peripheral vision I thought I saw some strange new apparatus on the building across the lot from my window. I took another look and nearly fell over when I realized there were two turkey buzzards sunning their wings on the roof.


 We get a lot of buzzards here, but I've only seen them circling overhead in the sky. I ran for my camera, but between the windows and the reflections, I didn't get a good picture. 




It has been quite the week for birds. On Tuesday, I was in Ann Arbor at our Sleeping Bear Press office. They are in a new office park with ponds and green space. From the conference room window I could overlook the pond where a Great Blue Heron was busy stalking around the perimeter.


He did have plenty of company though.This duck had a head that was florescent! An amazing green color. I'm sure it was one of the ubiquitous mallards, but the sun was catching the head just right so it glowed.

 And just to top off the entire occasion, how about a swan, a Canada, and eight (count 'em!) great egrets. Wow.


On top of that, we have had so much rain, 3.48 inches so far in May, that every low spot has a puddle. And there are ducks in all the puddles. On my drive to work there is a little puddle in the lawn beside the road. It usually has a mix of Canadas and ducks. Yesterday the Canadas were further back under the trees with their younglings, so the ducks had control.

Wonder what I'll see tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment