Friday, February 25, 2011

21 Feb - 25 Feb - A week of weather

Feb 21
Just walked out with my trusty ruler. Nine inches on the ground. I tried to shovel a path out to the middle of the driveway for the measurements. I think we probably had 10 or more inches, because the show next to the cement is wet, had, compacted and need I mention, heavy. 
All I could hear were snow blower motors when I went out. Guess I'll have to find my earplugs and join in the noise pollution.  I had a hard night with weird dreams. The one I remember the clearest is that Jack and I were in a hotel with more amenities than God, and they wouldn't let  us check out. They kept offering us upgrades to stay one more night. But I was supposed to be at a meeting for work, so they took Jack and hid him somewhere in the acres of hotel.  I spent a lot of time looking for him until I decided this was silly and I should wake up. Maybe the guy that wrote Hotel California had the same dream. 

With all the snow, we had a snow day at work. It took me several hours to get the driveway cleared off, then I had to come in and take a nap. The snow was too deep for the blower to work. I had to shovel off the top, then blow the bottom half. Took me a while to decide which was easier and/or faster: shoveling the whole thing, or the one-two punch of shoveling and blowing.  

22 Feb
I am up, still in my nightie, hair in rollers, ferals fed, domestic cookied, coffee cup in hand. I hear a terrible clatter come down the street. Dear god.  You should see the ridge of snow just deposited at the end of the driveway.  Every muscle I have is screaming this morning from doing nothing but shoveling yesterday. Who is going to administer my coup de grace?  Surely someone could just put me out of my misery.

Now I have to go get some really warm clothes on and shovel out the drive, once again. The plow flew down the street at 60 miles an hour. Snow was thrown at least 8 feet up my newly cleared driveway. It is 12 degrees with a wind chill of 1. I do not want to go out there. I do not want to shovel. And I really don't want to go to work today.  But the sun is shining, so I'll get over it.Besides, I really have to get that ridge cleared off before it freezes solid.


25 Feb
I should be happy! It is Friday! Yeah!

However it is snowing. Again.  I got up at 3:30 this morning and it hadn't started so I checked the weather maps. It looked like we were going to miss this storm-- it would slide south and east of us.  But when I got up, it was snowing.  Once again it is the tiny little snow. We are supposed to get  4 to 7 inches. I sure hope not. It is windy, and snowing sideways. The wind is coming out of the north east. I went out to feed the ferals and the snow stung when it hit my exposed skin. 

The ferals are amusing me. They carefully balance on the edge of the waterbowl to drink. What? They don't want to stand in snow while they drink? And if the bowl gets really low or dry, they use it as a foot warmer. 


Unfortunately I am taking pictures into the sun, through a window and a storm window, both thoroughly smudged by cat noses. The camera wants to focus on the pupkus on the windows, rather than the cat outside.  This is Hughie, perched on the rim of the bowl.  


Here is one of her kids using the empty bowl as a foot warmer. Pretty darn smart. Plus it makes me feel guilty that they don't have any water. 




No comments:

Post a Comment