Friday, December 24, 2010

24 December 2010 - Snow place like home

The building next door to me at work is landscaped with many ornamental grasses. When I was leaving work tonight, I saw two grass igloos.

I had to park again, and take pictures. If you have ever wondered how little creatures survive through a winter, after seeing something like this, you know!

The weight of the snow turned these tall grasses into snug little homes. No snow inside. I imagine they would be even better with snow on top acting as an insulator.


In other odd animal news, the ferals have discovered how to get on my roof. They are climbing up the weeping cherry at the corner of the house to get on the roof and then they play silly cat games up there. It is disconcerting to be almost asleep, or lounged out reading in the living room, and then hear clumping noises overhead. Very odd. For quite a while, I wasn't sure what it was. Didn't know if I had squirrels in the attic or what.




One afternoon, the light was just right as I was at the mailbox and I realized the roof was covered in cat tracks. Good grief.                                                     
Worse yet, I have discovered they are using the roof as a litter box.

Hughie also climbs up the maple tree and leaps onto the roof from an overhead branch. I hear the thump of her landing almost every night when I am sitting in the back room. 

Often when I pull in the driveway, Hughie and one or two of her kids come down out of the arborvitae that provides the path off the roof. It's almost like they are laying in wait for me. Can't decide if it is disconcerting or more like a welcome home now feed me committee.  


In other atmospheric events, we had a really interesting cloud at sunset. The sky was clear except for a low cloud ridge that went from as far north to as far south as you could see. The setting sun was coloring the top of it in an amazing pink stripe. Wish I had a panoramic camera to get the whole effect. 













No comments:

Post a Comment